
Our homeschool co-op went on a field trip yesterday to the Mayfield Dairy Farm.
It was so much fun! We met our group in Athens at the Mayfield place. The tour a little lengthy and I was a little worried that Jude wouldn't last.....and especially worried that he wouldn't keep his lovely hairnet on. But to my (happy) surprise, he did great!
This is his way of smiling for the camera! :)
We had to put these hairnets on, but the kids didn't seem to mind. Probably because EVERYONE had to wear one. Even the 2 month old baby that was there.
After the tour we all got some ice cream (of course!), then we headed on over to one of the family's grandparents house where the dad is a large animal vet. We had a picnic lunch in their yard, then watched an amazing presentation given by the vet. He was awesome! He showed some of the tools he uses and talked about what he does all the time. The kids were mesmerized.
After the presentation and concert (he played the banjo as well!), we headed on over to an actual dairy farm. This farm is one of many that Mayfield gets their milk from.
There were lots of baby calves you could pet.
And apparently if you stick your hand in a calf's mouth, he will suck on it just like he sucks on a bottle. Drennan thought this was hilarious! I thought it was disgusting, but I loved watching Drennan laugh about it.
They got a little presentation on how milk is extracted from a cow.
This day was fantastic! We had so much fun doing all these events. I didn't know how tired the kids would get or if we would even make it to all the stops, but I'm so glad we did.
Tad got a lot of really great pictures. It was hard to choose which ones to post.
looks like such a fun day! I love the cow pictures :)