The kids are pretty good to help around the house if I ask them to help. When I was pregnant this last time and couldn't walk up and down the stairs too much, they really helped. But if I don't ask, then they aren't ones to just start picking up toys, clothes, etc. Most of the time I feel like I'm swimming upstream when it comes to housework. I've got too many people working against me, and it's impossible to catch up or come anywhere near catching up.
So we've decided to implement a chore chart with specified chores for Drennan and Micah. They each have chores to do throughout the week such as helping in the kitchen and bathroom and picking up after themselves. Drennan helped with supper last night and was very excited to do it. He likes to cook but is usually booted out by Micah and Lila.
As my sister and Mom continue to tell me, things may not be done exactly right or exactly how I would do them, but at least they will be getting done. They will get better as they get older, and learning responsibility at a young age can only help them later in life. At the end of each week they will get an allowance. No chores mean no allowance.
Drennan and Micah have such different personalities. When I talked to them about this, Drennan's first concern was how much money. Micah, on the other hand, loves a project and went straight to the bathrooms and started cleaning. After 10 minutes of scrubbing, our shower was sparkling clean. :-)