Drennan's current reading material



I woke up to a rainy morning which made me think we can't go outside to play today.
Sort of a bummer since the weather over the weekend was great and the kids were so tired
from playing outside. It's so good for them.

Every time it rains my kids say it's movie day. I have told them rainy weather makes you want to sit inside and watch a movie... or read. Drennan will probably be reading. The boy LOVES to read. When I say "LOVES" I don't mean that in a small sense. Because he loves it so much he is really good at it. He began reading chapter books halfway through his kindergarten year. He hasn't been formally tested but I know he reads at least on a 5th grade level. I say 5th grade because of the books he chooses to read and because he gets through them so quickly (and comprehends all of what he reads).

He gets so excited when he gets a new book that he sits and reads it until either he finishes it or until I say to do something else. We just got new books from the school book fair friday and he has read the first two in the series. He has read many Magic Tree House books, Junie B. Jones, Judy Moody, and Captain Underpants (which I despise), and now Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

I have to say I do contribute part of all this to homeschooling. Because Drennan can move at his own pace and not have to wait around for 25 other people, he can excel faster. But I also contribute it to God just blessing us with a great kid who loves, loves, loves to read. The more he does it, the better he gets.

The irony of it all is that when I was a kid I hated to read. Only read when I had to. I love it now and read a lot now, but it certainly took about 12 years before I really started to like it. Same for Tad.

I don't normally do posts like this one, but some things are just so exciting that you just want to share them with others.

3 comments:

  1. Chas said...

    That is so great! He and Eli are so much alike! I catch Eli reading anything and everything. :) Especially when it is not an 'assignment' ;) he is much more eager that way... crazy kid.
    I am tickled for you... it sounds like you are doing a WONDERFUL job!
    Love,
    Chas  

  2. Karen said...

    Wendy, that really is truly amazing. He's so blessed to have you homeschooling him, so he can enjoy going at his own pace. I'm in the opposite extreme. I was such an avid reader as a little kid and Dana's a bit slow to start. I feel so impatient, but I'm trusting that he'll take off in his own time. I have nostalgic dreams of him curled up in a cozy chair with a chapter book... hopefully that won't be too far into the future. For now, we'll just keep plugging away.  

  3. Tim said...

    That is so wonderful. There's nothing like reading. I love getting emails and instant messages from him too. What fun it is.